A person who is driving a vehicle and strikes another vehicle, that person is required to immediately stop their vehicle, or if that is not possible, immediately return to the scene of the accident and do the following things:

  1. Give your name and address and the registration number of the vehicle being driven;
  2. Upon request, present your driver’s license to the other driver, or occupant of the other vehicle;
  3. Render reasonable assistance to any injured person, to include making arrangements for transportation to a hospital or other medical facility it such treatment appears needed, or if such transportation is requested by the injured person;
  4. Where a person in the other vehicle is unconscious, apparently dead, or otherwise unable to communicate, make every reasonable effort to ensure that medical services and local law enforcement are contacted for the purpose of reporting the accident, and requesting medical assistance.

The driver must remain at the scene until these legal requirements are fulfilled, and this should be done without obstructing traffic any more than is necessary.


If the accident resulted in the death or serious injury of a person, the driver will be guilty of a felony with punishment of imprisonment for not less than 1 or more than 5 years.

If no serious injury occurred, the driver will be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be fined between $300 to $1,000 dollars and possible imprisonment up to 12 months for a first offense.

For a second offense committed within 5 years, the driver will be fined between $600 to $1,000 dollars and possible imprisonment up to 12 months.

For a third or subsequent offense within 5 years, the driver will be fined $1,000 dollars and possible imprisonment up to 12 months.


Most people won’t know the exact requirements of what you need to do when in an accident, and you don’t want a prosecutor to apply the letter of the law to you.  For the most part, you just need to not leave the scene of the accident, and identify yourself.  But if for some reason you feel compelled to leave, you will be facing some fines and possible jail.


You need to have an experienced and fearless lawyer who will defend your rights and ensure that you are not convicted of a crime that you did not commit.  You also need to have a lawyer that will not buy into the false overcharging of individuals in order to give the appearance of a “good deal” when a lesser charge is offered.

You need to hire ROY YUNKER LAW.